Thursday 12 September 2013

An Ode to Kirkstall Abbey


Kirkstall Abbey, by Samantha Rose Whitworth
 This poem was written by on of the regular attendees of the Adult Art group who meet monthly at Abbey House. Sam Whitworth wrote this poem inspired by Kirkstall Abbey and also the painting that accompanies it.

If Kirkstall Abbey inspires you, please vote for the site as it has been shortlisted in the 'Britain’s favourite heritage site' category in the BBC Countryfile Magazine Awards 2013. Full details can be found on BBC Countryfile Magazine’s website at www.countryfile.com/awardsvote, or you can email your votes to awards@countryfile.com. Voting closes on 30 September 2013.

KIRKSTALL ABBEY

I am a thousand year old abbey
I was born and raised in a town called Leeds
I have housed ancient monks who worked and served God
And ploughed the land and grazed their sheep
Now I am worn and torn with age
I have seen so many changes
Seen so many different people
With different styles and dresses
That have been and gone before me
I am a symbolof my everlasting age

I am KIRKSTALL ABBEY
A magnificent building
That was created.

The monks carefully put me together
Stone by stone and tiles by tiles
Wooden beams for the roof
And glass painted windows
I was a very beautiful building
Now I am left worn and tattered as an old ruin
People still come to see me from all over the world to marvel at my age.

I have seen the seasons change
From spring to summer
From autumn to winter
Many animals have took refuge in me
From squirrels that run up my trees
To pigeons that perch high on my worn window sills
Around the fields are foxes and the lake where I stand are ducks and a swan.

I see many visitors come through me
Some children, grandparents, mums and dads
They would all stop and say Hello.

I am KIRKSTALL ABBEY
A thousand year old building
That has seen so many changes
As I stand so bold and proud
My name will be known throughout my life
And the passing of time itself know as the
House of God
KIRKSTALL ABBEY forever and
Eternally AMEN

Poem written by Samantha Rose Whitworth


Readers Comments